Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week in Review: September 24 through September 29

This week was highlighted by enjoying the magnificent Northern Minnesota weather and fall color, interspersed with doing our normal stuff.

MacKenzie didn't have school on Monday, so she and I spent the day together. We made 2 batches of cookies, read, and enjoyed just being together. She and Dick played catch and batted a few balls around, too.

Tuesday Dick and I picked up our two new chairs and ottomans. Of course, some assembly was required, but we did overcome and got them together with no hiccups. They are SO comfortable! and, they fit the RV so much better than the others (which we were able to sell quickly on Craigslist).

The cool (cold!) weather at night--low to mid-30s--precipitated the fall colors reaching their peak in the Northland this week. Everywhere you turn there are more colors, more beauty; but I hope you get the idea. During the day the temps will reach the mid-70s, with a touch of briskness. All but the last photo were taken during a walk that Dick and I took around town this week.







 
Outside my mom's home. The birches and oaks are still green.
(Saw this in the Duluth News Tribune this morning, and had to share.) Trees near the peak of fall color cover the hills around Oberg Lake near Tofte (on the North Shore of Lake Superior) on Thursday. (Andrew Krueger / akrueger@duluthnews.com)

As you know, when you move your home base to a new area, one needs to find a new hairdresser and a new doctor. Therefore, we needed to transition our healthcare to a local provider. We've both had our physicals and, thankfully, have come out on top. This week Dick had his final follow-up on Wednesday with his new doctors and they are pleased with his health. Appears he'll be around for a long time! Oh, and I've become Dick's new hairdresser; and no, he has not become mine...ha! (I do have one locally that I see when the need arises.)  That evening, my brother Rich, wife Karen, and MacKenzie came for dinner: Popover Chicken. YUM! (Oh, but the way, that recipe is in "The Blessed Bistro" cookbook!)

Friday, Dick worked with my brother Rich installing ceiling insulation on one of the homes Rich is repairing. This past summer a tree fell through the roof during a wild wind storm.

Today (Saturday) Dick, my brother Ron, and I attended a concealed weapons class, which allows us to, yup, carry a concealed weapon. After a lecture, testing and a hands-on, we were awarded a certificate allowing to do just that...carry. Cool, huh! I could really get into this shooting thing. (Haven't done any shooting since I was in elementary school and my dad took us to the town dump in Grand Marais to shoot cans and...other stuff.)

Also today, MacKenzie played her first of two soccer games in the "final four" of her division playoffs. Unfortunately, her team lost in double overtime and a kick-off. The second game is tomorrow afternoon. This time we'll be there to cheer her team on.

We hope to be on the road within 10 days at the outside. There are few things we need to make sure happen for my mom before we leave. More on that next week.

As I close this week's review, I wanted to share this with you. I've been reading a small devotional book entitled "Jesus Calling," by Sarah Young. These daily words help to remind me that my time spent with God is not to be a monologue, where I just spew out my wants and desires, problems and cares, but rather a dialogue, where I also wait quietly and patiently for Him to speak to me. In Thursday's devotional, which is inspired by her daily walk with the Lord, she writes, "...Go gently through this day, leaning on Me (God), and enjoying My presence. Thank Me for your neediness, which is building trust-bonds between us..." What a neat thing to know (and remember!), that we don't have to face our days alone, but can lean on God to lift us up!

Hope this finds you all well. More next week! We miss you.
Love and hugs,
Gail and RJ (Dick)

No comments:

Post a Comment