Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week in Review: September 16 through September 22

This week was filled with lunches and soccer -- oh, and cold weather!

Before I forget, these are the flowers I received from Dick for my birthday: over 200 lilies in a variety of colors, from white to deep burgundy. They've gradually been opening, and now on day 9 they're fully open and beautiful!

Sunday and Monday were quiet, spent at home, getting caught up on normal household stuff.  Not too much going on, but Minnesota was beginning to share its Fall colors. Cold nights (in the 30s) and warmish days (in the 60s and 70s) make the colors pop.

Dick and I decided to trade out the 2 lounge chairs in the 5th wheel, for 2 more comfortable and stylish models. So, Tuesday we did a bit of shopping and found 2 taupe faux leather recliners with ottomans on a 50% sale. They are sooooo comfortable--could hardly get Dick out of the floor model! They'll arrive on Tuesday the 25th. If I can't find Dick in Mom's house, I'll know where to look!

Tuesday we also attended yet another of MacKenzie's soccer games. They won (of course) and this weekend began the playoffs. Here's a photo of MacKenzie and her dad (my brother, Rich) taken after one of the games. Rich is also one of the coaches of her team.


Thursday was the day we were all looking forward to: a luncheon with family members from my mom's side of the family, at Red Lobster in Duluth. They try to get together at various times throughout the year, to celebrate birthdays. Lucky me, this time it was for me, and for my aunt Fern, Mom's youngest sister, who is turning 80 this year. This, too, marked the first time my uncle David has been able to make it since his stroke in March. Thankfully, he's making steady progress, and was able to come up for the luncheon, from Minneapolis. He's shown here with his son Geno (my cousin), and Geno's son Caleb (who's attending University of Wisconsin-Superior and able to make it). There were 26 of us, so Red Lobster is always happy to see our family walk through its doors! Among those in attendance were all my mom's living siblings (3 brothers and 3 sisters--FYI, Mom's the oldest at 91, and Wally is the youngest at 74), 6 cousins, 1 second cousin, 1 third cousin, several spouses, my brother Rich, my mom, Dick...and me. We spent 2 hours laughing, talking, eating, and sharing. What a wonderful time! As we were leaving, numerous diners commented on what a wonderful family we are, and how they wished they belonged! (Of course, the waitstaff sang Happy Birthday to Fern and me...groan...)

 

Friday we were fortunate to have lunch with our new-found friends Bea and Mike, whom we got to know in Grand Portage. They had extended their stay in Grand Portage for an additional 2 weeks, and are heading south to Missouri this weekend. Was so good to see them again, and we hope to see one another next year in Grand Portage--unless they decide to head to New England or Alaska!

Saturday was the first day of the playoffs for MacKenzie's soccer team. In windy and chilly 45 degree weather they won 4:0. Good thing we had our snuggies with us: gloves, heavy sox, boots, hats, ear muffs and winter jackets. Brrrr.. Sunday is their 2nd game of this playoff series. Will cover the results of that game next week.

Saturday night the temps plummeted to 26 degrees. We are SO ready for warm weather an sunshine! More on that next week!

Hope this finds you all well. We send you love and blessings as you face this new week.
God is good!

Gail and RJ (Dick)

No comments:

Post a Comment