Sunday, February 24, 2013

Week in Review: Minnesota and Texas - February 17 - 23


Sunday, February 17 seems so long ago. We decided to attend the 2nd more traditional service at First Baptist Church of Rockport, which has the organ, choir with robes, etc., rather than the worship team with band and keyboard. We decided that the 1st service was more to our liking, so that’s what we’ll be attending. This week’s message was based on Psalm 120, entitled, “Provisions for the Journey.” Psalm 120 is a reminder that the best way to begin a pilgrimage of discipleship into the presence of God is by turning away from the deceptions and conflicts of the world and turning to the truth and peace of God. (You can hear the weekly sermon at www.sermon.net/fbcrockport or go to  fbcrockport.net, click on resources and then online sermons. We’ve been blessed by Pastor Scott’s messages, and know you will be too.
Texas skies
Later that day we went to dinner with Marvin and Shirley. But first we had to stop at the flea market in Aransas Pass to pick up some personalized carpets that Marvin and Shirley had ordered, with a pelican, water, palm trees and the words “Oetjen’s Nest” hand painted on them.  We were hoping to eat at a local restaurant called the “Butter Churn,” but alas, they closed before we got there. Our second option was to JD’s Seafood Restaurant. YUMMY! JD’s is touted as having the best seafood in the area, and we were not disappointed. Dick had fish tacos, Shirley had the fish platter, Marvin had the shrimp platter, and I had the shrimp fajita tacos. Again, I say, “YUMMY!.” We will be going back again, and again, and…


Our good friends, Marvin and Shirley


Monday dawned cloudy and humid, with the possibility of rain showers later in the day. I spent the morning getting the trailer set for Dick’s 2-week bachelorhood, while I’m in Minnesota. I had to make a list of what was available in the refrigerator for him to eat, or everything would stay untouched until I returned. I believe he’d live on cold cereal, crackers and cheese if I didn’t. Just prior to leaving for San Antonio and the airport, I said my goodbyes to Marvin and Shirley, who will be heading home to Illinois before I get back. Marvin, as I’ve mentioned, does “intarsia carving.” He gave us this beautiful wall plaque of “Jesus.”

MAN, IS MINNESOTA COLD!!!! When I arrived in Duluth around 10:30, the wind chill was reaching -40 degrees. That’s 110 degree difference in 5 hours!! My brother met me at the airport with my winter jacket and believe me I needed it! Wind, blowing and drifting snow, and COLD—I much prefer sun and sand!

The rest of this week's blog will be separated into two sections: Minnesota with me, and Texas with Dick.

Minnesota:

The wind was still blowing, and snow was still drifting on Tuesday morning, with temperatures at -14. Brrr… Need I say I’m thankful for heat? Dick was basking away in 70 degree weather and sunshine in Texas, while I preferred to stay inside in Minnesota except for a trip to our favorite store (WalMart) to stock up on groceries for the next week. The wind was fierce, but I was prepared with ear muffs, gloves, and down jacket. It’s been a long time since I was in weather like this. While I was out Pastor Doug Green from Mom’s church stopped by for a visit.
It’s good to be with Mom again, even though I would’ve preferred warm and sunshine. Mom’s injury is healing beautifully, and there should be minimal scarring on her forehead.

Wednesday February 20 was overcast, with temperatures in the mid-20s. The wind had died down, so it was tolerable to be outside. Neighbors Jan and Lloyd stopped in to see Mom for a few minutes. Was good to see them again and catch up on what’s been happening in their lives since we last visited.

The temperatures dipped again Wednesday night, and by 7 a.m. Thursday morning they had reached +4 degrees. Once the sun came up it “warmed” (relatively speaking!) to a “balmy” +24 degrees. Ralph and Ona from Mom’s church came by, for about an hour, to check on Mom. That afternoon Mom had her first good shampooing since her fall 2 weeks ago, and a haircut. That raised her spirits and took about 15 years off her! (I told her that instead of turning 92 on March 1, she would be only 77…Ha! She got a kick out of that.)

In December I decided it would be a good idea to create a “Shold Family Cookbook; a Nourishing Heritage with recipes handed down from generation to generation, as well as those that are current family favorites. My mom’s siblings and family members are all wonderful cooks, and I thought how sad it would be if their recipes, anecdotes, stories, and photographs were lost and not captured somehow. Ergo the cookbook. While looking through Mom’s recipes I came across an oatmeal cookie recipe from my grandmother. Of course I had to make them Wednesday afternoon – oh boy…are they good! YUMMY!!! That one is definitely going in the cookbook.
Mom's home

Snow started falling around 6 a.m. and continued throughout the day, with accumulation of 4”. Temps were in the mid- to high-20s, just perfect for snow. Thankfully, the wind didn’t blow so it was actually quite beautiful.

Friday afternoon while I was out with my brother Rich, Mom’s youngest sister Fern and her husband Kenny, from Grand Marais, stopped by. So sad I wasn’t around to see them. Last summer when Dick and I were in Grand Portage we saw them quite a bit, but obviously not since then. (I will see them next week, for the “birthday lunch” at the Red Lobster in Duluth, celebrating Mom’s birthday and her youngest brother Wally’s birthday. There are usually 25-30 relatives who show up for these lunches, which are held every couple of months or so. I think I mentioned these lunches in earlier posts. We spend 2 to 3 hours laughing, eating, and talking. Great times are had by all! Other patrons, after hearing why we’ve gathered, have said they wished they were part of a family like ours!)

That evening my brother Ron and his wife Debby arrived from Roseau, MN for the weekend. It’s a 5 ½ hour trip for them; they come down every 6 to 8 weeks, to spend time with Mom and do what needs doing while they’re here. It’s always so good to see them.

Saturday was an overcast day with temps in the 20s. Everyone took it relatively easy gearing up for Sunday, when we were going to celebrate Mom’s birthday a few days early. Photos will be posted next week. (Her birthday is on March 1.) Next week’s weather should be sunny with temps in the high 20s. Perfect for my visit!

Texas:

Temperatures in Rockport are a bit different from those in Minnesota! (Dick sent me his notes for his 1 week of bachelorhood…) Tuesday at 7 a.m. the temps were in the low 60s, just perfect for Dick’s 50-minute walk along Fulton Beach Road. Later that day, he attended a photography class in the clubhouse, given by PhotosbyNelson.net. I‘m looking forward to hearing what he learned and seeing the results of what he learned.

I know this is tiresome to hear all the time, but he says that Wednesday dawned with temps in the mid-60s, and slightly overcast. His walk took him again along Fulton Beach Road, about 60 minutes today. A few posts ago I mentioned that he purchased a Texas fishing license, so that afternoon he decided to try his luck on the Copano Bay Fishing Pier. No luck. Appears the only fish he’ll be eating, for a while at least, is tuna from a can! Dick attended an RV seminar later that day, on full-time RVing. He said he learned quite a bit. Good thing, since that’s what we’re doing! That evening he went to the clubhouse for the Wednesday evening meal of “Bangers and Mash.” He said it was really good! (At least I know he’s getting one good meal a week while I’m gone! Ha!)

Thursday was pretty much the same regarding the weather and walking. He rode the motorcycle to our favorite store (WalMart) and then to a town called Sinton, where wind turbines and oil fields abound. That afternoon he attended another RV seminar, this one was put on by Marvin and Shirley, about RV servicing. Looking forward to hearing what they had to say.
Oil wells, a familiar site in Texas

Wind turbines in Sinton



Dick woke Friday to temps in the high 60s. Dave, a guy Dick met from another trailer park on one of his walks, stopped by to chat. He is becoming a wood carver, so had some stories to share, as well as some frustrations. Friday was another beautiful day for a motorcycle ride, this time to Port Aransas, but not until after a trip to Caroline’s Turtle Bay CafĂ© for a late breakfast. When Dick got to Port Aransas, he was able to ride the motorcycle on the beach for miles. These photos were taken in Port Aransas and at the I.B. McGee Beach Park.

Ferries to/from Port Aransas

I.B. McGee Beach Park

Surfer

Under the pier at I.B. McGee Beach Park.

Camping on the beach.

Saturday morning’s temperature was 53 degrees, a bit cooler than it has been.  After breakfast Dick attended the RV park’s craft show, held in the clubhouse. He said he “spent his wad” there, so I’m looking forward to seeing what he bought. Later, he walked for about an hour along the beach on Fulton Beach Road. Just a typical day in our lives





Thanks for joining us again this week as we continue our journey, my 2 weeks in Minnesota and Dick’s 2 weeks of bachelorhood! Please come back again next week.

Hugs and Blessings to you!

Dick and Gail

2 comments:

  1. :-) So glad to hear that Dick is surviving his bachlorhood :-) Neat to read about two different states this week! Have fun celebrating your mom's birthday! Don't get too wild and get yourselves kicked out of the restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a chance you qualify for a new government sponsored solar energy rebate program.
    Click here and find out if you qualify now!

    ReplyDelete